Contact Us

Phone number

+61 3 9818 4499


Helping Home Buyers & Investors Since 1992

Newsletter signup

Property Management

FAQ – Residential Rental Providers & Renters

FAQ’s for Residential Rental Providers (RRP)

Q: Why have an agent manage your property?

A: Synonymous with Buyers Advocate’s commitment to excellence in buying real estate, our Property Management division is no less devoted to providing expert management services and advice to RRP’s & Renters’s.

Management is a lot more involved than you may initially think! At Buyers Advocate, our Property Manager – has been in the industry doing Property Management for over 15 years. We take pride in the fact that our staff undertake regular training, this up to date training allows us to be at the leading-edge of Best Practice, legislative changes and the legal obligations governing owner – renters relationships under the Residential Tenancies Act.

This means you are assured of the highest standards of professional ethics, service and accountability.

Q: What Insurance do property owners need?

A: All property owners should avail themselves of any insurance that provides them with protection from unexpected situations that may arise. Most owners are aware of insurances such as building, contents and public liability, however all RRPs can also protect themselves against loss of rent and renter related damage. All RRP insurance is tax deductible and readily available. Please see our Insurance Section for more information.

Q: How long does it really take to lease a property?

A: Generally we say to allow up to 4 weeks to lease your property, this is based on the fact that most prospective renters if currently renting are required to give 28 days notice when vacating – most prefer to do this once they have found another property. Other factors that effect the leasing process are – the level of demand relative to supply, so anything from days to four weeks is considered quite normal.

FAQ’s for Renters

Q: What Insurance do renters need?

A: All renters must have insurance that covers their belongings at the rental property – an owners building and contents insurance will not cover a renters belongings even if the damage is caused by a situation within the property such as a roof leak. Please see our Insurance Section for more information.

Q: Can I end my tenancy?

A: After your lease has expired and you wish to vacate, the Residential Tenancies Act states that 28 day notice in writing must be given and rent must be paid to the end of the tenancy. If you want to vacate at the end date of your lease, 28 days prior to this date you must give written notice to your property manager.

Please note rental is due until notice has expired or keys are returned, whichever is the later.
If you wish to break lease, you will be required to pay rent up to the day a new tenancy starts and reimburse the owner a pro-rata amount of the letting fee he was charged plus advertising.

Q: How does a Renters Transfer work?

A: The RRP has approved your tenancy and the tenancy agreement is in your name. You are responsible for meeting all of the requirements and conditions of the lease, unless it is assigned to another person(s) or cancelled by mutual consent.

If a new renter is to replace an existing renter, a new application must be completed by the proposed renter and approved by the RRP before any change can occur.

Q: What happens if I lock myself out or lose my keys?

A: If you lock yourself out of your property and have no other access, please advise our office by phone on 9818 4499. If we have spare keys, you may collect these by producing photo ID and a $200 deposit that will be refunded if the keys are returned within 24hrs. If the keys are not returned within 24hrs, this deposit will be forfeited, unless a separate agreement has been made with the property manager stating otherwise. If you require your spare key after hours and the Property Manager is available to provide a spare key, there will be a $100 charge. Please note this option may not be available at all times. See the urgent maintenance form for Locksmith details.

Utility connections and provisions: RRP & Renters

Please see the link from Consumer Affairs Victoria regarding each parties responsibility on this.

Please also refer to Renting a home a guide for tenants.